What Documents Do I Need To Rent a Property?

Once you have found your ideal property, the next step is to sign a contractual agreement in the form of an assured shorthold tenancy.

Contents Insurance for Tenants

Before you can do  so, however, your landlord will require a number of documents which can, at times, involve lots of paperwork. These are necessary to determine whether or not you are a trustworthy prospective tenant and will require you to  prove your identity, employment and ability to pay rent. This process can often be daunting if it’s your first time. But worry not – we’ve put together a list of the documents you need to rent your next home hassle-free.

Do you need proof of ID to rent a property?

Firstly, you will need to provide your landlord or letting agent with a proof of identity. You must be over the age of 18 and prove your identity in the form of a photo ID (e.g. passport, driving licence, residence permit).

Further to checking your identity, your landlord is bound by law to check your immigration status, regardless of where you come from. You must have the appropriate documents that grant you a legal residence status, such as a visa or settled status in the UK. Thus, you will have to provide either the original or certified copies of the documents that grant you stay in the country.

Do you need proof of finances to rent a property?

Moving on, you will have to prove your financial security – that you are able to afford the rent – be it through a bank statement, your employment contract and earnings or tax returns. If you are self-employed the landlord may request more substantial information and requirements such as a fully completed tax return. Typically, renters need to earn 2.5x the annual rent of the property.

someone showing someone a document to sign

Do you need references to rent a property?

Finally, the last of the documents you will be required to provide are references. Your landlord or agent may request references from you, from a previous landlord and employer in order to ascertain that you are a reliable and trustworthy tenant. The references will give your landlord an idea of what you are like as a tenant, and will confirm your employment and character.

Do you need a guarantor to rent a property?

If you are a student ,there is a chance that you won’t have enough income to cover the cost of rent. In that case you will need to have a guarantor for your property. The guarantor is a representative who will co-sign on the tenancy agreement and take on liability for the payment of rent. The guarantor will have to provide similar evidence to that of an ordinary tenant listed above. In addition, you will need to prove that you are enrolled on a course at a higher education establishment as well as proof of address.

All in all, although obtaining all the documents needed to rent property can be a lengthy and arduous process, it is a necessity for any prospective tenant. As you start to look for a new property make sure that you have everything outlined above ready!

Tenancy deposit
Money shield
Local heroes
Approved code
Property ombudsman
Open banking
Mashroom is an appointed representative of Adelphi Insurance Brokers Ltd. Adelphi Insurance Brokers Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Their Financial Services Register number is 594620, with permitted business activities being introducing, advising, arranging, dealing as agent, assisting in the administration and performance of general insurance contracts and credit broking in relation to insurance instalment facilities. You may check this on the Financial Services Register by visiting the FCA’s website, register.fca.org.uk or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768