Was I right to offer a room at the inn?

My tenant was desperate for housing and couldn’t find any in our busy town. I had a small studio available, and he gratefully accepted. However, he has now moved his partner in and she’s just had a baby! 

Rent Guarantee Insurance Banner

I have a few issues. Firstly, I’m not sure the property is suitable for a young family. Secondly, they seem to have lots of pets. And thirdly, there is a steady stream of visitors coming at all hours!

Should I just accept this, or is it a festive faux pas?

It is the most wonderful time of the year and the season of giving, so well done you for providing room at the inn. That’s the Christmas spirit! 

While this was clearly something the tenants needed in a hurry, hopefully you got your tenant referencing, inventory check in and Rent Guarantee Insurance sorted before they moved in.

While there may be no crib for a bed, I’m sure they’ve made the most of the space. After all, newborns don’t take up too much room. However, it’s not going to be a silent night for their neighbours, especially if their pets and visitors are making a racket… 

Yule be sorry if you’ve not covered these in the tenancy agreement, so double check what your agreement states about noise and pets and remind them about the boundaries, if needed. You’re not renting out a stable, after all.

Ultimately, it’s not up to you how much room the family needs. In the bleak midwinter, they are probably just happy to have a roof over their heads. While you don’t want to play Scrooge, you can cover how long they want to stay in the tenancy agreement.

It’s the time of year when we want to give and think of those we can help, so making your home available to a family in need is in keeping with the spirit of the season. After all, you just never know who you might be renting to…!

Tenancy deposit
Money shield
Local heroes
Approved code
Property ombudsman
Open banking
Mashroom is an appointed representative of Adelphi Insurance Brokers Ltd. Adelphi Insurance Brokers Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Their Financial Services Register number is 594620, with permitted business activities being introducing, advising, arranging, dealing as agent, assisting in the administration and performance of general insurance contracts and credit broking in relation to insurance instalment facilities. You may check this on the Financial Services Register by visiting the FCA’s website, register.fca.org.uk or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768