What if my tenant’s housing benefits don’t meet the rent?

What if my tenant’s housing benefits don’t meet the rent?

Housing benefits are a tricky one and this is exactly the reason why a lot of landlords don’t want to rent to people on housing benefits. 

With the squeeze really on regarding benefits, it’s a necessary question to ask, as research suggests that in 90% of instances, benefits are no longer enough to cover the rents they were originally designed to pay. Which rather defeats the purpose of them!

The shortfall can range from £25 a month on a single room in a house-share outside London to a whopping £260 a month for London based homes. While that sounds a lot to catch up on monthly, over the course of the year, we’re talking thousands in debts, which only wracks up more stress and anxiety for both you and your tenant.

A small girl covering her eyes

So what are your options?

  1. The tenant could make up the shortfall themselves
  2. You could reconsider the rent
  3. The tenant can apply for a discretionary housing payment

The tenant could make up the shortfall themselves — if they are in a position to do so. Perhaps they have friends or family who could help out on a regular basis, or even savings they could dip into. However, both of these are finite options, so a frank conversation about how long this could realistically last is needed.

Rent Guarantee Insurance for £299

  • ✓ Covered for £2,500 per month
  • ✓ Claim up to £25,000
  • ✓ Free access to legal advice
Buy now
Rent Guarantee Insurance

Alternatively — you could reconsider the rent. Now, hear us out on this one! If your rent is just above the housing association rate, consider adjusting it down so it falls in line with what you know they can afford. 

It’s likely they’ll be looking to stay long term, so even though you may lose a little each month, you are potentially gaining a long-term reliable tenant – and they are worth their weight in gold!

There is a third option if your tenant had already moved in before this became an issue, as — they can apply for a discretionary housing payment. There are some cases in which tenants can apply for additional housing benefits if the amount that they are receiving doesn’t cover their rent.

Funds are decided on a case-by-case basis and awarded by the Housing Executive, which will decide how much money is to be awarded, as well as how long it be granted for.

The onus is on the tenant to prove they will fall into financial hardship if they do not receive the additional funds and the HE will consider multiple elements before making the final decision.

Ultimately, there are a lot of options available to both you and your tenant. As always, it’s about keeping the lines of communication open and working together to find a solution. 

Comments 0


Tenancy deposit
Money shield
Local heroes
Approved code
Property ombudsman
Open banking
Mashroom is an appointed representative of Adelphi Insurance Brokers Ltd. Adelphi Insurance Brokers Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Their Financial Services Register number is 594620, with permitted business activities being introducing, advising, arranging, dealing as agent, assisting in the administration and performance of general insurance contracts and credit broking in relation to insurance instalment facilities. You may check this on the Financial Services Register by visiting the FCA’s website, register.fca.org.uk or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

Mashroom Mortgages is a trading name of Emash Ltd which is an appointed representative of Mortgage Advice Bureau Limited and Mortgage Advice Bureau (Derby) Limited which are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on a mortgage or any debt secured upon it. A fee of up to 1% of the mortgage amount may be charged depending on individual circumstances. A typical fee is £495.
Emash Ltd. Registered Office: 21 Navigation Business Village Navigation Way, Ashton-On-Ribble, Preston, Lancashire, England, PR2 2YP. Registered in England Number: 11735831.