Can You End a Tenancy Agreement Early?

Plans can change at a moment’s notice (especially in today’s climate), and you may find yourself having to move out of your home earlier than originally planned. 

Tenants Contents Insurance from just £3.12

  • ✓ Covered up to £30,000
  • ✓ Flexible monthly policies
  • ✓ No hidden fees
Get a quote
First time Buyer mortgage

This may feel daunting at first, as you might be in a lease agreement with many months yet to run. 

Fear not! There are actions you can take, which will hopefully lead to a smooth resolution for all involved. 

How much notice do I need to give to end my tenancy?

The amount of notice you will be expected to give your landlord before you move out depends on the type of tenancy that you have

For a fixed term tenancy it will depend whether or not you have a break clause. If you do, you must give the amount of notice specified in this clause. 

If you do not have a break clause you cannot give notice to move out early. If you want to move out, you should give notice on the last day of your Fixed Term Tenancy. 

If you have a periodic tenancy you need to give one month’s/ 4 weeks notice to leave the property early. 

If you live with your landlord, you and they can agree when you will move out .

How do I end my tenancy if it’s a joint tenancy?

If you have a joint tenancy, it is a little more complicated- simply because if you end your tenancy, the tenancy ends for everyone. Therefore, it is important to speak to the other tenants before you move forward with anything. 

Usually, if you have a fixed term joint tenancy you have to abide by the rules set out in the break clause. 

If you have a periodic joint tenancy, then you can give notice to end the tenancy without having to consult with the other tenants. 

It is important that you remember that if you decide to leave a joint tenancy early, the tenancy ends for everyone. 

Moving boxes

What if I need to move out immediately?

If you are unable to give the correct amount of notice because of a situation that has arisen, you should speak with your landlord. 

Explain clearly why you would like to leave the tenancy and ask if they will agree to it. If they don’t, you will have to pay rent until the end of your tenancy. 

If you do come to an agreement, make sure to get it in writing to avoid any issues in the future. 

So, there you have it! A quick look into how you can go about moving out early. Remember, communication with your landlord is key to a smooth transition. 

Comments 0


Tenancy deposit
Money shield
Local heroes
Approved code
Property ombudsman
Open banking
Mashroom is an appointed representative of Adelphi Insurance Brokers Ltd. Adelphi Insurance Brokers Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Their Financial Services Register number is 594620, with permitted business activities being introducing, advising, arranging, dealing as agent, assisting in the administration and performance of general insurance contracts and credit broking in relation to insurance instalment facilities. You may check this on the Financial Services Register by visiting the FCA’s website, or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768