The Best Rugs to Complement Your Living Room
Picture this: you’ve finally secured the rental property of your dreams. It has a cosy bedroom with the perfect amount of light, a beautiful bathroom and it’s within walking distance from your work. It is ideal.
Tenants Contents Insurance from just £3.12
- ✓ Covered up to £30,000
- ✓ Flexible monthly policies
- ✓ No hidden fees
Now you’ve moved in; you realise something feels like it’s missing —something to add a little character, flair and that home-from-home feeling to your new pad. Enter the perfect rug.
Rental properties tend to have hard flooring, but incorporating a rug into your living space can make it feel more homely. It is also an easy way to tailor your rental more to your taste, without having to peel blu tack off the walls and lose your deposit!
But, with so many options, how do you know which rug would best compliment your living room? That’s where this guide comes in handy.
Which rug should you choose?
There are plenty of shops with rugs, rugs and more rugs to browse through until you find the one for you. Start your search at Made, Ikea, Maisons du Monde, Habitat or Anthropologie, for some inspiration.
Best rugs for a small living room
A round rug can be the perfect complement to a small living room. It adds some colour and character to the room without taking over completely. Here are some of our favourites:
- Vaserely Round Wool Rug from Made (available in three colours)
- Haldor Round Wool Handtuft Rug from Made
- Round Woven Cotton Rug with Tassels from Maisons du Monde (available in six colours)
- Yvette Pommed Jute Rug from Anthropologie (available in two colours and a variety of sizes, so could work in a larger space too)
If you want something a little different for a smaller space, check out
- Star Rug from Maisons du Monde (available in four colours)
Best rugs on a budget
- LJÖRRING from Ikea
- RÖRKÄR from Ikea
- SPORUP from Ikea
- Sofield Faux Fur Rug from Maisons du Monde
- Raya from Habitat
Best colourful rugs
- Delphine Crewel Rug from Anthropologie
- Tetta Rug from Anthropologie
- Tufted Eden Rug from Anthropologie
- Margot Rug from Anthropologie
- Bloomsbury from Maisons du Monde
Best neutral rugs
- Tufted Perrin Rug from Anthropologie
- Hand-Knotted Ingo Rug from Anthropologie
- Hand-Knotted Annalisa Rug from Anthropologie
- Tufted Audrina Rug from Anthropologie
- Malay Wool Stripe Rug from Made
- Lenni from Habitat
Where is the best placement for your rug?
Where you place your rug in the room also has an impact not only on how the room looks but how it feels. A rug that pulls the sofa, side tables, and chairs into a warm conversation area optimises the feeling of tranquillity and homeliness in your living room.
Adding a rug to your living room is a fun and surefire way to add some colour and personality to your rental home. No matter what your preference, you are bound to find your new addition from one of the shops recommended in this guide!