What is Public Liability Insurance?

As a landlord, it can be pretty tricky to understand what kind of insurance covers what, what insurance you need and what is a waste of time. 

Free 30 days listings on:

  • ✓ Rightmove
  • ✓ Zoopla
  • ✓ Mashroom
Start listing
First time Buyer mortgage

Public liability insurance is one such insurance that it’s essential to understand. 

Lucky for you, we’ve put together this guide to help you get in the know. 

What is public liability insurance? 

Public liability insurance helps to cover landlords if a claim is made against you. For example, if someone is injured in your property by something that was not directly your fault. 

This type of insurance helps with the cost of legal claims and compensation.

What does public liability insurance cover? 

Public liability insurance covers legal costs and compensation payments if you are being held responsible for an injury or other issue with a tenant. 

Of course, the compensation and legal fees will only be covered up to the limit of the policy that you have. 

Umbrella acting as cover

What is not covered? 

Public liability insurance does not cover anyone who works for you. For example, if you have someone showing your property to a prospective tenant and an accident happens, they will not be covered. 

Injury to yourself or to your employee is also not covered by public liability insurance. 

It is also important to note that you will only be covered up to a certain amount, which will be stated on your insurance policy. Make sure you are aware of the limit and be prepared to pay any excess. 

Do I have to have public liability insurance? 

Legally, you are not required to have public liability insurance. 

However, if you are interacting with the public in any way, which as a landlord, you will be, it is definitely advised. Public liability insurance ensures that you are not left with a hefty bill if a claim is filed against you. 

When would I use public liability insurance? 

Public liability insurance is very useful when an accident or issue occurs in your property. No matter how careful you are, accidents can happen, and it’s always best to be covered just in case. 

Making sure you’re covered is one of the best ways to ensure your safety as a landlord. The last thing you want is to be booting large bills that could have been avoided had you been covered by public liability insurance.

Comments 0


Tenancy deposit
Money shield
Local heroes
Approved code
Property ombudsman
Open banking
Mashroom is an appointed representative of Adelphi Insurance Brokers Ltd. Adelphi Insurance Brokers Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Their Financial Services Register number is 594620, with permitted business activities being introducing, advising, arranging, dealing as agent, assisting in the administration and performance of general insurance contracts and credit broking in relation to insurance instalment facilities. You may check this on the Financial Services Register by visiting the FCA’s website, register.fca.org.uk or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

Mashroom Mortgages is a trading name of Emash Ltd which is an appointed representative of Mortgage Advice Bureau Limited and Mortgage Advice Bureau (Derby) Limited which are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on a mortgage or any debt secured upon it. A fee of up to 1% of the mortgage amount may be charged depending on individual circumstances. A typical fee is £495.
Emash Ltd. Registered Office: 21 Navigation Business Village Navigation Way, Ashton-On-Ribble, Preston, Lancashire, England, PR2 2YP. Registered in England Number: 11735831.