What is Unoccupied Home Insurance?

When your house is unoccupied, whether you’re on holiday or have moved out, the last thing you want is to deal with issues regarding insurance. 

Not all insurance policies are the same, so it is vital you understand what you are covered for and what you are not.

To learn more about insuring your unoccupied home, keep reading. 

What is unoccupied home insurance?

In short, unoccupied home insurance is an insurance policy that covers you when your home is left empty for longer than your standard insurance policy will allow. 

In general, unoccupied home insurance covers you for up to 60 days. After that period, you may not be covered.

What does unoccupied home insurance cover?

In order to get the best deal from unoccupied home insurance, you should look for a policy that covers several things. 

These include: 

  • Storm, flood or fire damage
  • Burst pipes (water and oil) 
  • Theft and attempted theft
  • Vandalism 
  • Any legal expenses (removal of squatters, trespassers)
  • Public liability insurance (this is for damage caused by a property that you own)

Not all insurances are equal, so make sure you know what you are covered for before committing. 

Wooded homes representing home insurance

What does unoccupied home insurance not cover?

There are several things that are not generally covered by unoccupied home insurance. 

These can include: 

  • Unforced entry (through an open door or window, for example) 
  • Damage done during major works or renovation 
  • Damage caused by contractors (they should have their own insurance)

Do I need to have unoccupied home insurance?

When a house is left unoccupied for a long period of time, the chances of theft go up, and small damages run the risk of becoming challenging to deal with. Therefore, it is a good idea to cover your unoccupied home. 

However, you only need to get unoccupied home insurance if your property will be empty for longer than is allowed on your normal home insurance policy. 

If you fail to tell your provider that your home is unoccupied, you run the risk of invalidating your current policy and may not be covered. 

When would I need unoccupied home insurance? 

There are many reasons why your property may be empty, and you, therefore, require unoccupied home insurance. 

  • You have inherited the property 
  • You own the property as a holiday home
  • Your property is on the market, but you have already moved out
  • Your property is being renovated, and you have moved out temporarily 
  • You are away on holiday for a long period of time 
  • You have just purchased the property but do not want to move in immediately 
  • You are a landlord and are between tenants 
  • You have been taken into long-term medical care 
  • You are waiting for probate

It is important to make sure you are properly insured when you are leaving a property unoccupied. Without unoccupied home insurance, you could run the risk of serious damage or theft and have to fork out for the expenses yourself. 

Comments 0


Tenancy deposit
Money shield
Local heroes
Approved code
Property ombudsman
Open banking
Mashroom is an appointed representative of Adelphi Insurance Brokers Ltd. Adelphi Insurance Brokers Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Their Financial Services Register number is 594620, with permitted business activities being introducing, advising, arranging, dealing as agent, assisting in the administration and performance of general insurance contracts and credit broking in relation to insurance instalment facilities. You may check this on the Financial Services Register by visiting the FCA’s website, register.fca.org.uk or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768