What Checks Should You do When Your Tenancy Ends?

There is a lot to unpack when you’re a tenant, and we’re not just talking about the literal unpacking when you move home. From the initial deposit to vacating the property, and everything in between, tenants have a lot on their plate.

When it comes to moving out of a property, it’s fair to assume that you might have forgotten which checks need carrying out, especially if you have lived there for a while.

It’s in your best interest to leave the property having done your due diligence and carried out checks. Other than being respectful to the landlord and leaving everything in good condition, you also want your deposit back.

While the landlord will undertake their own set of checks, you should also safeguard yourself. Be confident knowing you are handing the keys back with everything in order.

Just in case you’re a little bit confused about what you should check when leaving the property, we have put together this guide.

Here is what you should do…

Tell the landlord

Notifying the landlord that you’re moving out is one of the most important parts of the process. Many tenants don’t realise that they often have to provide at least one month’s notice before leaving, though the exact requirements will be detailed in your rental agreement.

Even if you have completed the 12-month contract, it’s still necessary to inform the landlord that you are moving out on the 11th month at the latest. Not providing them with a concrete time of when you are leaving could be seen as a breach of rules.

Professional cleaning

Most ASTs state that the outgoing tenant needs to have the property professionally cleaned. That doesn’t mean getting out the Mr Muscle can and wiping down a few cabinets, however. The property needs what is known in the industry as a ‘builders’ clean’.

If you decide against a professional clean, expect costs to be deducted from your deposit, with the landlord choosing a cleaning service of their choice. You can avoid such a scenario by arranging it on your side. Professional cleaning often costs between £75 and £150, depending on the size of the property.

Inform bill providers

Informing your local bill suppliers that you are moving out of a property is highly recommended. You don’t want to receive bills when you’re not even living in the property — you will need to close your electricity, gas and water accounts.

Other bills to take into consideration are broadband and TV subscriptions, as well as council tax. If you’re locked into subscriptions with broadband and TV providers, you can generally transfer these to the new property. But gas, electric, water and council tax bills need to be closed.

General checks

It’s also a good idea to run checks around the property to see that everything is in working order. Run the taps to see if the water is flowing correctly, check appliances to see if they are working and test the electrics by switching the lights on and off.

It might all sound like basic stuff, but you shouldn’t leave anything to chance. It’s an unlikely scenario, but you don’t want the landlord to suggest that you’re responsible for something not working and have no proof to state otherwise. Always check that everything is in working order before you leave.

Go through your move-in inventory

Before moving into the property, you would have been given an inventory with all the items that were already in the flat. It’s best to find the inventory so that you can cross check to make sure that everything is where it should be.

Checking the move-in inventory is especially important if you moved into a furnished property, but it’s also worth checking even if the place was empty. There will still be items on the list, and it’s vital to make sure nothing is missing.

Be prepared

Moving out of an old home and into a new one is stressful, which is why it’s essential that you have a checklist. There is a lot at stake when you’re renting, and you want to make sure that you get your full deposit back and give the property back in good shape.

If you have checked every aspect, you can be confident that you have done your part. All that’s left is to get your deposit back and look forward to your next adventure in your new home.

Letting with mashroom

We understand the stress that comes with renting: there are many layers involved, and talking to multiple people to sort everything out is time-consuming. With mashroom, landlords and tenants remove the stress and handle every aspect under one roof.

Find out more and join the lettings community.

Comments 0


Tenancy deposit
Money shield
Local heroes
Approved code
Property ombudsman
Open banking
Mashroom is an appointed representative of Adelphi Insurance Brokers Ltd. Adelphi Insurance Brokers Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Their Financial Services Register number is 594620, with permitted business activities being introducing, advising, arranging, dealing as agent, assisting in the administration and performance of general insurance contracts and credit broking in relation to insurance instalment facilities. You may check this on the Financial Services Register by visiting the FCA’s website, register.fca.org.uk or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

Mashroom Mortgages is a trading name of Emash Ltd which is an appointed representative of Mortgage Advice Bureau Limited and Mortgage Advice Bureau (Derby) Limited which are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on a mortgage or any debt secured upon it. A fee of up to 1% of the mortgage amount may be charged depending on individual circumstances. A typical fee is £495.
Emash Ltd. Registered Office: 21 Navigation Business Village Navigation Way, Ashton-On-Ribble, Preston, Lancashire, England, PR2 2YP. Registered in England Number: 11735831.