Estate Agent Language Unpicked 

When you’re buying or selling a home, the last  thing you want is to be bombarded with estate agent lingo.

Home Emergency Insurance for £130

  • ✓ Covered up to £1,000 per emergency
  • ✓ £250 for overnight accomodation
  • ✓ Call out, labour & parts included
Buy now
Home Emergency Insurance

Unfortunately, agents can easily revert to type, dropping jargon on you with questions about whether you’re an FTB, if you’re after a freehold or leasehold, and so on.

Of course ,here at mashroom, we keep it classy with jargon-free language that is understandable and will help you sell your home or find the keys to a new one in no time at all. But enough about us. You came here for the jargon busters, and that’s what we’re going to do.

Grab a hot brew, put your feet up and read on as we unpick all the essential estate agent language. 


You are the vendor if you’re selling your home. Most people trying to sell their home are referred to as the “seller”, but the official term is “vendor”.


Have you ever heard of Rightmove and Zoopla? They’re the two primary property portals – websites used by estate agents, both online and high street, to advertise the properties of theirvendorssellers. 


An FTB might sound like some acronym reserved for the world of banking, but it actually stands for first-time buyers. And just in case you didn’t know, first-time buyers are people who are purchasing a property for, you guessed it, the first time. 

Property ladder 

The property ladder is a series of stages that reflects your position in the UK housing market. First-time buyers are getting on the property ladder, while those moving from a small home to a larger one are known to be moving up the property ladder. 

Under offer 

When a property is under offer, it means the vendor has accepted an offer which is currently being processed. Nothing is concrete at this stage, but the signs are good, and hopefully, everything runs smoothly for the buyer and seller. Unless…


Gazumping is when a seller has accepted one offer on their property, only to then accept another offer of a higher price at the last minute. When this happens, it is understandably frustrating for the buyer. 

Property chain 

A chain is the number of people involved in your sale. You could be buying from someone who is purchasing from another person, who is buying from another person, who is buying from another person, who is… ok, you get it. The whole thing is a bit like a, erm, chain. 


An energy performance certificate, otherwise known as an EPC, shows the efficiency of a property and provides a good estimation of how much utility bills will cost. It’s graded from A to G, with A being excellent and G representing a home that isn’t very cost-efficient.


If you’re taking out a mortgage to buy your next home, you will first need an agreement in principle (AIP). It’s an estimate of how much the bank is willing to let you. An AIP is also known as a mortgage in principle. 


With a leasehold, you own the property but not the land where it’s built. Leaseholds are very common with flats in the UK. 


A freehold represents ownership of the building and the land that it sits on. In other words, you own all the stuff

New build 

New build homes are actually pretty straightforward. It represents a brand-spanking new home that hasn’t been lived in yet. Fancy! 


The amount of money a homeowner puts into their property is known as equity or capital. This is the value built up over time as the owner pays off the mortgage and the property value increases. 


An individual savings account (ISA) is a scheme designed to help people get on the property ladder by offering tax-free savings accounts. 


STC stands for subject to contract, which is when a property is off the market because an offer has been accepted but hasn’t been finalised. 

Comments 0


Tenancy deposit
Money shield
Local heroes
Approved code
Property ombudsman
Open banking
Mashroom is an appointed representative of Adelphi Insurance Brokers Ltd. Adelphi Insurance Brokers Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Their Financial Services Register number is 594620, with permitted business activities being introducing, advising, arranging, dealing as agent, assisting in the administration and performance of general insurance contracts and credit broking in relation to insurance instalment facilities. You may check this on the Financial Services Register by visiting the FCA’s website, or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

Mashroom Mortgages is a trading name of Emash Ltd which is an appointed representative of Mortgage Advice Bureau Limited and Mortgage Advice Bureau (Derby) Limited which are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on a mortgage or any debt secured upon it. A fee of up to 1% of the mortgage amount may be charged depending on individual circumstances. A typical fee is £495.
Emash Ltd. Registered Office: 21 Navigation Business Village Navigation Way, Ashton-On-Ribble, Preston, Lancashire, England, PR2 2YP. Registered in England Number: 11735831.